01.Apr.2010 Model Spotlight – April 2010 – Holly Yako
Name: Holly Yako
Ethnicity: Middle Eastern
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Weight: 105 lbs
Major: Psychology (Future Goal: PHD)
Describe yourself in three words.
Fierce, persistent, outgoing
What trait do you like most about yourself?
Trait I like most about myself is that when I truly put my heart, soul, and time into something to become the best in whatever I may be doing. I truly surprise myself and learn different qualities and talents about myself that I probably didn’t even know I could achieve. I’m a definite go-getter, so when the switch goes on, better watch out! (Haha)
How long have you been modeling, and how did you get started?
I’ve been modeling for maybe about a year now. I’m still new to it all. I got started by doing fashion shows at my school, slowing got picked up for shows at the Arts Institute of Phoenix, got picked up from designers, then created a model mayhem account and thanks to that exposure it’s been history ever since!
What are some of your modeling highlights so far?
Some of my modeling highlights would have to be being apart of Phoenix Runway, Phoenix Fashion Week, modeling and being apart of the Tokyo Girls production (a Japanese Hi-Fashion Couture designer), Couture Designer Samira Binno, and Couture Designer Debra Davenport. Also, recently in a commercial for the first Miss Arab USA Pageant which will soon be aired worldwide! Last but not least, I got to the 2nd round on America’s Next Top Model (last call) but didn’t go so far since they were looking for 5’7″ and taller and I’m only 5’4″.
What do you do for fun?
For fun I love hanging out with the family, playing sports, shopping with my sisters, modeling, and trying out something new everyday.
What is your best beauty secret?
Sorry I have too many so I narrowed some down…
1) Moisturize! Drink tons of water!
2) Sleep with Vaseline on my face sometimes. Take an old toothbrush, and dip a little Vaseline on it. Then use that to brush your lips, and it’ll leave your lips feeling smooth and moisturized.
3) Never sleep with makeup on!
4) Foods for a flawless face!
- Berries that are rich in anti-oxidants will get your skin glowing so stock up on blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries.
- Water is essential to getting clear skin so make sure you’re getting at least 64 ounces a day!
5) Rid the Red. Soak a cotton ball with eye-drops (with the ingredients potassium chloride and tetrahydrozoline hydrochloride), and hold on the zit for about a minute to reduce redness.
6) Exfoliate with sugar! Not only will this soften your lips, it will also give them a sweet taste.
What are some of your upcoming projects?
My commercial for Miss Arab USA Pageant that will soon air worldwide! Modeling for the Tokyo Girls Production for a Japanese Hi-Fashion Couture designer in the Phoenix Comicon Convention. There are plenty more projects, but they are in the works. So I can’t mention, or there’s some that I’m going to be finding out soon if I will be a part of it.
Do you have any advice for aspiring models?
1) Don’t let anyone ever tell you you can’t do it or not good enough.
2) Stay positive (but realistic), persistent, motivated, passionate, and focused.
3) Never stop believing in yourself or talent because once you do it’s going to be that much harder to try to have others believe in you.
4) Stay confident; Don’t ever let one shut opportunity be the close of your dreams. Be able to develop a tough skin. You’re going to be critiqued all the time, so learn how to take all that in, learn how to improve your strengths and weakness, and move on.
5) Don’t take any criticism too personal.
6) It’s a business first, and that’s how this industry should be treated. So, study a variety of models, learn what market you’d fit best at, learn what needs to be known about the industry, and do your research!!
7) Picking photographers is important because their work will reflect on you as a model, and never do anything your not comfortable with or something that does not reflect who you are.
Be safe, and always have someone come with you to shoots.
9) Network, and get yourself out there as much as possible!
Why do you love 12VSpotlight?-
I love 12VSpotlight because it’s so lightweight and handy for everyday use. Great way to find something in your purse when it’s dark or if something ever happened to your car in the middle of the night you’d have that in handy to check things out.
Do you have any closing remarks?
I want to thank 12VSpotlight for giving me the opportunity to showcase myself on the site and get my voice heard and my face seen. Everyone should go out and get a 12VSpotlight… They’re amazing!
Photographer Credits: Speedie and Paolo Diego Salcido
If you would like to be featured in our “Model Spotlight,” please click here.
To view previously featured models, please click here.
No related posts.
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.